What if North Campus had never been built?
Lorch Hall Lives - Drew Kaczmarek
In 1952, the University of Michigan adopted a strategy of increasing the density of Central Campus to accommodate the influx of students and research funding. The architecture building, Lorch Hall, like other University buildings, needed more space for research, emerging fields of study, and the growing student body. By 1974, Lorch Hall had grown 130,000 square feet to house fabrication facilities and the new Urban Planning Department. Professor Emil Lorch’s prediction that the L-shaped building could become a quadrangle was realized by architect Minoru Yamasaki’s visionary biological addition, which uses bacteria and agricultural waste to grow lattice structures. By 2017, many spaces have mutated, and digital fabrication space grew by 36,000 square feet. Stagnation sets in between 2029-2036 during a downturn in the building industry, but by 2057, university-wide growth results in an additional 80,000 square feet for Lorch Hall. This period of growth continues steadily through 2094, by which time Lorch Hall has grown another 50,000 square feet. By 2128, on the Bicentennial Anniversary of Lorch Hall...
Underground Campus - Wei Wu
What if, instead of developing North Campus on a large parcel of farmland across the Huron River during the 1950s, the University of Michigan intensified the development of Central Campus by using already existing land resources? Historically, UM has used underground spaces, such as the tunnel system underneath Central Campus, to provide critical infrastructure for university buildings. This project explores those precedents, creating a new campus underneath Central Campus. This underground campus both contributes to and benefits from the urban context of Ann Arbor, preserving historical buildings, and recalling a hidden aspect of University history. Additionally, the design of this underground system inverts expectations about the relationship of outdoor space and indoor space on a traditional university campus.
UM Campus Expansion of 1952 - Stephanie Bunt
Read all about it in the latest edition of The Ann Arbor News! It's 1952 and the University of Michigan has expanded along the Huron River creating a riverwalk campus. The state-of-the-art facilities for the Engineering, Architecture, Art, and Music departments will set the University of Michigan apart from its peers. A grand promenade connects the existing campus to the Huron expansion where the future of learning will be developed. Spanning over the river, archways and courtyards create new social, community spaces. The cutting-edge stadium design will not only serve football games, but will also incorporate academic spaces such as lecture halls and offices, and will allow public access to the field in order to optimize community use of the facility. This campus expansion will be the pride of Michigan. Go Blue!